17 to 18

17 to 18

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Who made the potato salad?

Those were the words that started a special moment for Jennie Rocket, LA Chilly Elk, and myself. We had made a last minute stop to remind Eva Mae for dinner on Friday night. I think she was a little hurt that no one had stopped by since Wednesday. The two girls and I did our best to convince her to come anyway, but she said she could not make it now. We asked several times, but she was dug in and was not changing.

As I was about to close the driver's door, she said "Who made the potato salad?" Soon the four of us were back in Eva Mae's kitchen and she was finding a dish for her potato salad. As we stood there Eva Mae soon was packing up red beans and rice for us. She then pulled sweet potatoes out of her refrigerator, along with corn bread. We soon had a box of food to carry back to our ample supple of food.

An hour and a half into dinner, as I was separating the shrimp. Eva Mae walked in to join us. She also had a dish of fried chicken. Apparently after we left she went to the store, bought chicken, and fried it up. And of course she also made Kool-Aid (1960's style when sugar was king). Ask your daughters about the spirit and the generosity of the people we met.

And finally, I want to thank all 59 people I shared a week with. So often in our world, we wonder who we are and where we fit in. Of all the times in my life, this week I felt I was in exactly the right place with exactly the right people. I am honored to be called your friend and your teacher, you humble me with your talents and your friendship

Mr. Magee

P.S. I made posting a lot easier. Read your e-mails. It is now time for you to share your experiences.

No comments: