17 to 18

17 to 18

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Looking Back

Looking back at last week in Biloxi, Mississippi, I can barely even describe how great of an experience it was. Once I was at home I had trouble explaining to my friends and family how awesome it was. The first time I told my parents about it, I cried; and it's hard to tell someone about the best week of my life because I don't even have enough time to say all I need and want to share with them.
I think it was a great experience and it was a great group of girls and dads and moms. I learned a lot about myself and my friends and in general I learned how great it feels to help other people. I know that I want to go back again next year because Biloxi was such a great week and it was honestly the coolest thing I have ever done.
My work group was in Gulfport, which was a short drive away from Biloxi. We were helping Lucy build and finish the new kitchen in her house. When we first walked into a bare room with new windows but just a plywood floor, I wasn't sure how much we would be able to accomplish. But on the last day, nobody wanted to leave early to go to the beach; we all stayed later than some other groups and worked hard to finish as much as we could. When we left they finally had hot water in their house, a new gas stove, tile floor, and cabinents throughout the kitchen. It was an amazing difference from Monday to Friday and I loved how dedicated everyone in my group was. The dads I worked with were so great too because they explained everything to us and were very patient, which I'm sure had to be hard for them. Seeing the look on the family's faces on Friday afternoon made the entire work worthwhile for me and I was really proud of what we were able to accomplish in just five short days. We also made plans with the family to come back next year for a barbeque.
Becky Wissmann

No comments: