17 to 18

17 to 18

Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Final Day

Today was the last day that we worked on our house. The final outcome of our house from when we started was amazing to see. The progress we made in five days was more than I could ever imagine. The Mississippi News came to our work site today because they were doing a special on hurrican relief groups since it was the first official day of hurricane season. I keep in mind all of the optimistic faces that I remember seeing this week from the people who we were called to help this week and I pray for them that they have a safe season free from more hurricane damage. I could not believe it when I heard that it will take another seven to ten years for Biloxi to build back up their city to how it was before Hurricane Katrina hit. I almost don't want to leave because I know that there is so much more that I can do to help out. This trip has exceeded my expectations becacuse I received so much more than I gave from helping others. My favorite part of the day was after the BBQ when we all shared our stories and experiences from the week. It was touching to see how much everyone gained in one week. I think that the dads on this trip had as much fun or more fun than the girls. Even if I am not able to return on this trip next year, it has inspired me to reach out to others and simply, give. One of my favorite mottos from this trip was from a sign in the cafeteria of Seashore which said: "It's not all about you." I have heard this saying from my mom numerous times as well, but I loved this week because for once I felt like it wasn't all about me. I now know that I can make a difference and how much I am really capable of.

-Caitlin Cockerline

No comments: