17 to 18

17 to 18

Thursday, June 7, 2007

The week in Biloxi was not at all what I expected it to be. The work, however, was just as tough as i had imagined. The group I was in was actually building a house from the ground up. On the first day of work i remember coming back to the trailer and only wanting to eat and sleep-both of which i did- but i also remember thinking about how there was no way I could do this all week. After all, we only worked about 4 hours the first day, which didn't even come close to the 7 hours I had to look forward to each of the following days. I don't think it was until the final meeting on Friday night that I realized all of my hard work was worth it. That meeting put everything in perspective for me. While I was sitting there listening to all of the experiences and stories from both the girls and the parents I found myself looking back on the week I had. I thought about the man I was building the house for and how much I wished I could help him more. I also thought about all the wonderful people that I got to get to know even better through this experience. All of the dads and daughters were fantastic, and I now have so many new memories with them that will last a lifetime. I did things during this week that I did not expect to. For example, I drove around with Mr. Magee to stop and ask people if they wanted extra food; this is something I would never have even considered doing before. And yes, I even cried at the last meeting. Over all i realized that all the hard work was more than worth it, and this week taught me that there is so much more that needs to be done (not just in Biloxi, but everywhere) and that I really can make a difference. I had a great experience, unlike anything I have ever done before, and was able to share it with wonderful people.

No comments: