17 to 18

17 to 18

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Biloxi

It’s almost been a week since we’ve been home but I can’t stop thinking about Biloxi. Every time I see new pictures on facebook I seem to miss it more and when I got my picture developed I wanted to drive back right then. It took me 2 hours to explain pictures to my mom because every picture reminded me of 5 stories that I just had to tell. She didn’t seem to understand some or didn’t really see the importance of others. I’m so happy that not only did I get to partake in such an amazing experience but I got to do so with my dad. At first I thought it would be awkward or annoying having him around but once the week got started he became friends with the other fathers and friends with all the girls. My dad realizes how amazing this week was and helps me try to explain it to others.
Last week I worked on the Heidenheim house. That is the house with no siding, no rooms, no insulation, and no roof. I loved it! I love when people asked me what I did down in Biloxi because I can say without lying that I literally built a house. Even though getting 30 splinters and hammering the same finger 3 times was a blast I must say interacting with the people of Biloxi, the homeowners, and my classmates and fathers was the best part of the trip.
The first couple of days I worked on my house the results were hard to see. I knew we had worked hard and it seemed like we got a lot done throughout the day but looking at the house it didn’t look much different. As the week went on and the roof got built and the list of things to do suddenly got a little shorter I knew we were making a difference in this one man’s life.
Friday night was the best night of the trip. 40 teenage girls, 18 full grown men, and 2 moms sitting in a circle with most crying at some point. Listening to all the other houses stories and listening to everyone’s experiences of the trip taught me even more then I already learned. I will miss Biloxi every time I think of it and I plan on returning at some point to give William and Shorty a visit.

No comments: