17 to 18

17 to 18

Thursday, June 12, 2008

What a way to kick off summer

During the weeks before Biloxi, I'll admit, I was pretty nervous. I had no idea what to expect and when people asked me what I was going down for, I would say "To build houses." Little did I know then, I would be doing so much more. The week I spent at the Rosetti House was incredible, and the time went by unbelievably fast. From painting to caulking to singing and dancing, I not only gained new construction skills, but new friendships. The heat and sweat were easy to forget with the reminder of the family we were helping and the sudden dance moves that would break out as Jesse Mccartney or New Kids on the Block played on "The Monkey" (But don't worry, we got back to work after we got it out of our system). But one of the most rewarding days of the trip was when I went to the soup kitchen and served lunch to the homeless. It was extremely humbling and allowed me to interact with the residents of Biloxi. I'll never forget the man who came up for his lunch exclaiming how he just got a job earlier that day and how "God is good!"
So not only did I build houses, I built amazing friendships, faith, and memories, and built up the pride that I already have in Nerinx girls!


Katie Green (Scooper)

No comments: