17 to 18

17 to 18

Monday, June 9, 2008

It takes Just a little bit of Kindness to Change the World

Biloxi was quite the experience of a lifetime. Everyone that we our group of 60 something built houses for was entirely grateful or will hopefully be since some of us did not get to meet the homeowners. For those that did, the homeowners said we were surely angels and that they were so grateful for all that we did. I'm quite grateful to the girls I went down with because I'd talked to most of them before, but I was only really close to a few of them and after this week that has totally changed and I hope it stays that way. Every single one of the girls who went down gave their whole heart and efforts into what they worked on, whether it be as simple as painting, weeding, or caulking, to building a house. We all accomplished so much in only a week that the Back Bay Mission was shocked at what we were able to do and they were even impressed. It's the most awesome feeling to leave a lasting impression on the people one works with and helps and in return I know that I will always have a great impression on my heart and in my life from this week and I'm sure others will too. Even through all buckets of sweat that came from my body and the lack of sleep I got, I had a very fun time and just want to make a shout out to all the girls in my class (Class of '09!) for a thank you for making this a highly amusing experience, fun in the field, fun at the trailers and during dinners and our dance parties and reading stories to each other and cooking, to also all of you who was always checking on me to make sure I was feeling okay and looking after me. ALL OF YOU ARE AMAZING, FANTASTIC PEOPLE!! No matter how cliché that is, it is so true and for your kindness, compassion, and care for the people in this world, I know we can change things with our senior year and into the world beyond as we grow up. We really can do this, changing the world with a bit of love and kindness.. and maybe a bit of sweat and soreness too. :D

Amanda
Help with the Plumbing

No comments: