17 to 18

17 to 18

Monday, November 5, 2007

Looking back and Forward

Last year, I went with Mr. Magee and I believe it was 41 (?) of my classmates to Biloxi, Mississippi. I can honestly say I have never had such a great time doing service. Because there is still so much to do down there because of Hurricane Katrina, Back Bay Mission provided us with different tasks throughout the week which kept us busy and entertained.

The first day we were there I worked with about eight or nine other girls at the Commuinity Center parking lot. I was definitely not expecting to be powerwashing an entire parking lot and using a pick ax to break ground for a patio, I am not the strongest person. I was frustrated at first because I had no idea how helping seal this parking lot was so helpful to the community. Someone later explained to me that it's just the finishing touches on these projects that make them so much better. At the end of the week I saw the gorgeous patio some of the girls built all by themselves and the nicely sealed parking lot.

The rest of the week I spent one day in a soup kitchen, a few days scraping and painting a porch (as well as meeting many homeless who were living in cars in the backyard), and scraping and caulking a whole house. I learned quickly that all of these jobs took patience and a LOT of time.

The last night we were there, all of the students and adults that were on the trip got together in one big circle and shared what we learned and our experiences that touched us and that we would keep with us in our hearts from that day on. I didn't see one person in that room that wasn't crying. Biloxi was such a valuable journey for so many of us that went.

This year, I am going back to Biloxi more excited and nervous that I went last year. I hope all that are going this year will have as good as an experience as my classmates and I had last year and I know it will be wonderful. I look forward to this year and all of the new seniors coming with us!
Peace.
Annie Gerker (Senior 2008)

No comments: