17 to 18

17 to 18

Monday, June 7, 2010

Magnificence...

I was nervous before going on this trip. I have no connection to Nerinx Hall...no children that go to school there, didn't go there myself, and I don't even live nearby. I simply know the math teacher that organizes the trip, one Mr. John Magee. He was gracious enough to invite me to help on this year's trip, and I jumped at the chance. I was most nervous about driving down to Biloxi, no small trip, with 5 teenage girls I have never met before. That anxiety was wiped away in the first 5 minutes of the trip. I had a FABULOUS group of girls in my van. After going through Memphis by mistake, and then almost to New Orleans by mistake as well (quit laughing), I wondered if I would get the nickname "Jenny Wrong Turn". But finally we got to the Back Bay Mission, and our week began with a flurry of activity. Everyone was wonderfully polite and inviting, but still, I was overcome with emotions, being the only person truly here on my own and never having been on the trip before. Mr. Milford eased my mind and told me all would be okay. And it was.

It was more than okay...it was magnificent. Almost 100 young women worked together to help rebuild lives for people. Never complaining about the heat, the hard work, the weather, etc... They volunteered to work the food pantry, the Micah Center, Home At Last, the soup kitchen, and pass out leftovers to the homeless after our restaurant night. I had just met all of them and I was so incredibly proud to be with them. Their spirit to help others is contagious.

Upon my return I know I exhausted my husband's ears with stories. I laughed and cried while telling him of the week's events. Aside from giving life to my three children, I believe this Biloxi Back Bay mission trip was the most important thing I have done in my life. I will come year after year, if John and the girls would like or need my help, and as long as Biloxi needs assistance. Thank you to everyone who lent me a hand, bent their ear, gave me advice, and made me laugh on this trip.

Thank you also to the girls who were in my car, in my workcrew, and in my dorm at Seashore. You were amazing. I hope you continue to give back to those less fortunate, and inspire the people around you to do the same simply by your contagious spirits.

Jenny Florida

No comments: