17 to 18

17 to 18

Monday, May 28, 2007

May 28, 2007

Day 3

Yesterday we arrived in Biloxi and got settled. A few of us went for a walk to the beach and walked around for a while. The beach was really pretty, which I was not expecting at all. Liz went into the water and built a sandcastle and was very excited about it because it was her first trip to the ocean. As we walked home to Back Bay a woman in a beach front house called us over to talk to her. She told us about her house was the only one in that area that had survived the storm. Her neighbors homes had been destroyed by tornadoes. She told us that she and her husband Walter planned to turn their home into a Bed & Breakfast and invited us to all come back on our honeymoons. She began tearing up and thanked us for coming and told us how much everyone down here appreciates us coming. She gave each of us a hug and we continued on our way home where we met another woman named Renee. She told us basically her whole life story, the good and the bad of it, but ended each part with "but that's what God wanted." These woman helped me realize why I came down here.
Today we began working at our sites. I went to 240 Nicholas Street with Mr. Barnes, Melanie, Mr. Mindel, Kelly M., Erin and Krista. We are building a porch/deck for a woman named Sherry who had a stroke so she can only say a few words. Every time she sees us she thanks us for what we're doing. We also three young boys at the house. The oldest introduced them to us and apparently the youngest's name was "dorko". They were really cute. We carried lots of wood, measured, and did lots of nailing. It was hard work, but we're about half way done. As we drove back I noticed a few houses I hadn't the first time I was on the road. They were really bad off. At first I was shocked because I didn't think it was all that bad down here, but now I realize that there is still so much work to be done.
When we all finished our sites for the day, a few of us went down to the beach to hang out. We came back, had dinner, and we've all just been hanging around our trailor. We're all having so much fun. I love it here.
-Jenn Halaz

No comments: