17 to 18

17 to 18

Thursday, May 24, 2007

I guess God wanted us in Biloxi

As the soccer season wore on, I had thought that our Biloxi trip would not include Taylor, Allison, or Lauren. I have to admit that I was disappointed about this development. I have coached, taught, and been an advisor this year to Allison. Lauren always works hard and makes me laugh and smile plus she's from my hood (shout out St. Dominic Saviooooooooo). Taylor seems like a great kid. We would not have 3 great kids on this trip. As much as I was disappointed, I was actually cheering for this disappointment. I wanted those 3 and a couple dozen more to be State Champions. So was this His plan?

My JV basketball team this year went 26-0. A phenomenal accomplishment, but the math involved says that for every 26-0 team there are 26 25-1 teams and 325 24-2 teams. (Okay not really as I assumed p to be .5, math geeks don't explain this to the others--else we will have too many people at our secret meetings) and the question becomes did God want us to lose? Why Nerinx? Why this time? C'mon the goalie was 2006 Back Bay volunteer Bonnie!

I don't know why this happened? I could explain it in a probability model, but it would not stop the disappointment of our team and our friends. I can only say this, some of my greatest disappointments in my life have been followed by my greatest joys. I would not be at Nerinx today without disappointments and yes, failures in my life. It is okay to say that I failed, because we all do, but my failures in my life have led me to this place, at this time, with you. 43 wonderful girls and 16 wonderful adults. And after failure and setback, I think I take my lessons learned and become a slightly better person. So when we see Allison, Lauren, and Taylor give them a smile and maybe a hug on Saturday and maybe even Sunday for good measure, but after that step aside because the talents and energy of those 3 will surely blend with the talents of our other 40 who were not quite as good as kicking a ball, but have so, so many other talents.

No comments: