17 to 18

17 to 18

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Art Steinaway

If we are ever to be truly at our best, we need so many good people to be a part of our lives. How do we find these good people... we smile and say hello and listen and talk.

It was always my vision that any young person who wanted to participate in service to others should be encouraged to do so. In the early days of this trip, we outgrew the two temporary trailers at the Back Bay Mission. Someone suggested, I call a certain number and I soon found more lodging for students at Sea Shore United Methodist Assembly. The first year it was kind of fun, as the student lodgers at Back Bay had kind of a fun rivalry with the students lodging at SeaShore. I still remember Lauren Lampe leading some kind of call and response cheer. "Sea What? .... Sea Shore!"

If not for the kind people at Sea Shore, this trip would have been 25 girls a year. And many students would have lost this opportunity for service. Anne and Art always were friendly and got such a kick out of the spirit and friendliness of the Nerinx students. I remember Art shaking his head at the Missouri people who drove over the grass as we exited as there was a perfectly good road we could have used. I have stopped by and seen Anne each March as we prepare for the invasion of the masses, and I was struck each time by her friendliness, and how a person I had met just a few times knew me so well and could share her warmth and her kindness with me. Anne is my friend, and today as I somehow could not get a key to work, she patiently showed up and helped. As we drove back to the students in a golf cart, Anne told me that Art had been diagnosed just recently with a fast growing cancer and almost had quickly had died. As we slowly moved back to the dorms, I realized this what Fr. Boyle was talking about ... this was the kinship he talked about.

So if you are a Biloxi girl who has ever stayed at Sea Shore and remember how special it was, just send a note to Anne at sumasuma@bellsouth.net and thank Anne and her husband Art for the dedication and love that made your experience happen.

Thanks Anne, for being one of a handful of people that have always made this trip special. and thanks for being my friend.


John Magee

No comments: