17 to 18

17 to 18

Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Proud Teacher

This week is really been a special time.

Today, I got to see the 2007 Class at Loyola Academy graduate.
These are the same kids I coached and taught at 6th graders.

Phillip gave the valedictory address and it was truly one of my proudest
moments as a teacher. Phillip was my responsibility as a sixth grader
and I remember being in his apartment with his parents in the first month
of school trying to convince him what a great opportunity Loyola would be
for him.

I left that place that day, convinced I had lost the argument and Phillip would
soon find his way back to his old school. But today I heard him deliver a
wonderful speech accurately describing his journey from an angry,
apathetic young man to a student who would work hard to fulfill his dreams.

I also was there to award the first annual Pedro Arrupe, S.J. award to my friend
Mike Barry for his hard work behind the scenes raising money for Loyola.
I got to stand up in a room full of people and praise a friend I have known for \
more than 20 years. I hope you all get that opportunity some day. Jen praising Nina,
Ashley praising Emily, or Krista praising Caitlin, just think of the possibilities.

oh, btw, the nicknames are almost done and in my mail today a present for each of
you has arrived. I hope you take the time in the next couple of days to find some time
in silence so you can listen to yourself.

This week can be a truly extraordinary experience.

No comments: