17 to 18

17 to 18

Monday, June 8, 2009

sad to be home again...

Hey everybody!
It's crazy to think that just two days ago we were in Biloxi miles and miles and worlds away from our lives in St. Louis. To be honest, this last week was one of the best in my life. This week was full of new friendships - both with classmates and with citizens of Biloxi - full of happiness, laughter, and hard work, but it was also full of loss and a pain that many of us had never endured before. Working at Howard and seeing Mrs. Nguyen be taken from her trailer was one of the most painful and upsetting experiences of my life. It has taken me until today to completely process what happened at Howard and throughout this entire in Biloxi. Here is what I realized. Sometimes things will happen in our lives, or the lives of the people around us, that are simply out of our control. It is in these trying times that we must lean on each other and push on to something better. It is in these times that we must question authority, question justice, and question ourselves. In this questioning, we could learn that life is not fair to everyone and each one of us is immeasurably blessed. This last week, I grew immensely more grateful for my home, but also for my family and my friends (both old and new).
Leaving Biloxi this year was much more difficult because I was unsure of whether or not I would ever be returning, but as I started telling friends and family about this year's Biloxi trip I realized there is no way I could not return. Without a doubt I will be returning to Biloxi next summer. I wish I could be returning to Nerinx this fall, but, alas, I have to move forward. To those of you returning, enjoy the time you have left. Have fun with friends, learn lots, talk to new people, and appreciate and cultivate the relationships you have. The time flies and before you know it, May 28, 2010 will be here, and we'll be heading back to Back Bay!
Lastly, believe in yourselves and know that you are loved.
Peace,
Country (Jessi Pachak)

No comments: