17 to 18

17 to 18

Monday, June 5, 2017

Biloxi Day 1 28th Street

My first day of work on this trip was nothing as I expected it to be. The forecast called for scattered rain, but fortunately for us, there was not a drop that fell from the sky. I was expecting to walk in having no clue what I was doing and fearing doing something wrong. It turns out that that was not the case at all. It was exciting to be a part of a big group whose goal is to make another person's life better and safer. I look forward to the rest of the week and can't wait to see the improvements we will make in such a short period of time. In just one day, we cleaned up an entire backyard, repainted all of the doors, and installed shelves. The hard work each person was individually contributing was inspirational and made me want to work harder and do more. I felt part of the entire group and didn't feel as if I was just a young high school student who would be treated like a child. (Hellcat Air Zone) Claire H. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- My first day at Back Bay Mission, I visited the Micah Center and worked there and connected with the people for a few hours. This was an incredible experience for me because I had never seen something like this before and the people I was working with were wonderful. Kylee and I were overwhelmed with the work that these people do at the Micah Center and are eager to go back. After this, we went to one of the houses where I painted doors and worked on interior areas of the house. This was hard work but a great team work experience. The people I am working with are wonderful and I am very happy to be here. ------------------ (Shadowboxer) Fiona G. ------------------------------------------------------------ My parents would be really proud that I made scrambled eggs today. At 6 am, i was already learning new things 10 hours away. The day started off by waking up early to make breakfast or everyone (it was delicious by the way). At 8 am, we piled in the cars and got a nice view of the city as we drove to the work site. The house was in "the ghetto"...I wouldn't have called it that though. The house was a lot nicer than I thought it would be. The Back Bay Mission has been doing a good job :) . We were mostly working on the finishing touches of the house such as yard work, painting, installing appliances, etc. After only a few minutes of yard work, I got called over to the chop saw, and then was there for the rest of the day. Because of all my work today with the tool, I consider myself a chop saw master. I helped install all of the trim in the house today and am looking forward to what I'll be doing tomorrow. (Brooklyn Side) Sarah B. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Today was my first day of volunteering at Back Bay Mission. I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun I had helping out at the food pantry. My morning consisted of helping stock the food pantry and helping clients shop. It was interesting to get to talk to some of the clients and hear about their families. Every person had a different type of family and I was excited to be able to help them in getting food for their families. I carried groceries to the clients cars and every single one thanked me before leaving. This simple "thank you" made my day especially great. I am excited to continue my volunteering for the rest of the week. (Rubangakene) Caroline F. --------------------------------------------------------

No comments: