17 to 18

17 to 18

Friday, September 25, 2009

"We Come to Help, and We Come to Listen"

"We come to help, and we come to listen. If we listen with our ears open, then the needs of total strangers, can become the requests of new friends."

So said the t-shirt from last year. In a v-neck no less, because, "Mr. Magee, v-necks are the coolest. Don't you know that????"

I asked the next group of prospective carpenters, painters, scrapers, crap haulers, and water girls to reflect on this statement when they signed up to be a part of our trip.

Here are some of their words.

"I believe in the "stranger"; I believe in myself" and most importantly, I believe in the unity of US together." student Class of '11

"A true example of someone who has seen the needs of others and has sacrificed so much to help them is my dad." student Class of '11

"Service is not what I hope to do one day but rather my everyday actions and purpose for living." student Class of '11

"I don't want to build a house, I want to make a home"

"I will bring an open heart,good attitude, and my loretto values of community, respect, faith and justice."


We will be ready, will you?

John Magee

No comments: