17 to 18

17 to 18

Friday, June 15, 2007

A Week in Biloxi

My experience in Biloxi is one I'll never forget. Before we left, I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't feel completely prepared, and I remember thinking, "I've never put up drywall," and worrying that I wouldn't know how to do the work we were going to be doing in Biloxi. However, those worries were put aside after the first day of work. I was in the parking lot group who worked at the East Biloxi Coordinating Center. On Monday, we power washed the entire parking lot (so that it could be sealed the next day) and leveled the ground for a patio. I've never used a power washer, but I found out that it didn't matter if I didn't know how to do something because I would soon learn. At first we weren't too keen on power washing a parking lot for an entire day, but when we found out what the EBCC buildings were for, we realized that this project was indeed important, and it needed to be done. The EBCC is where all the volunteer programs in Biloxi meet and coordinate. The next day, we finished the patio, which was very exciting. It was nice to know that employees, volunteers, and clients would enjoy sitting on the patio that we had just completed.

The next project that I worked on was the blue house. I loved painting this house the very bright blue that it now is. On Friday, the last day of work, we finished about an hour before we thought we would. This sounds cliche, but with all of us working together, we accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. That is one thing I took away from this trip. I've realized that it doesn't matter who we are or where we are from, but if we want to accomplish something, and we work hard to accomplish it, then we can.

No comments: